> On Jan 25, 2018, at 2:22 PM, Dennis Boone <d...@msu.edu> wrote:
>
> If you're venturing into unix technology, it's possible to mount nfs
> shares on the VMS machines.  Then you can use BACKUP to write save sets
> onto the nfs share.  There seems to be some care needed with ADF
> metadata.  Multinet seems to write this to a hidden file or
> subdirectory; not sure what UCX/TCPIP do.

I actually looked into this option around 2008 (for the same Alpha).  If I
remember correctly I ran into a problem on the VMS side of the file size limit
(I have the same disk size now I had in 2008).  This can work, but you have to
break larger disks up into chunks.  I’m hoping to avoid that, with the solution
I’m looking at.

Zane