I’ve uploaded a RL02 image of a bootable VMS 4.7 Standalone backup. You can download it using this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12USrZnqSRWelSKAWiHipyDs2qZRcuu9b

First tried this with the default Debian Stretch package (version 3.8.0) and this gave the familiar segfault found in my other posts.

So I bite the bullet, created a new virtual Debian Stretch console only system to build the newest version. Installed extra packages are build-essentials and libpcap-dev because the rest in the manual seemed for running in X11. A:

make vax780

gave a BIN/vax780 binary (much larger than the Debian one). I copied the tape and the above and created a exp1.ini file with the following lines:

; Try stabackit.rl02 from Simh mailinglist
;
set console log=logs/vms44.log
set rq0 ra92
set rl0 rl02
attach rq0 vms44sys.dsk
attach rl0 stabackit.rl02
attach ts bb-bt05c-be.tap

Then:

hvdkamer@obelix-deb9:~/vax$ ./vax780 exp1.ini

VAX 11/780 simulator V4.0-0 Current        git commit id: 6bfad051
Logging to file "logs/vms44.log"
exp1.ini-6> attach rq0 vms44sys.dsk
RQ0: creating new file
RL0: 'stabackit.rl02' Contains ODS2 File system
RL0: Volume Name: STANDBACKUP  Format: DECFILE11B   Sectors In Volume: 20480
sim> boot rl0

   VAX/VMS Version V4.7 28-Oct-1987 13:00

%BACKUP-I-IDENT, Stand-alone BACKUP V4.7; the date is 28-MAR-2013 14:57:52.95
$

Success at last :). Now redo all the other experiments to see if it was a problem on the the old Debian binary.

If you want to go full realistic, once you’ve got 4.4 running, generate your own STABACKIT in the media format you prefer and then repeat the install :)

Hmm, but then you depend on your provided disk. It would be nice if you could bootstrap it with only the VMS 4.4 tape and the Stand alone back-up tapes. I think that is the procedure in the old VAX install manual?

--

Henk van de Kamer
http://www.vandekamer.com/