I used to like to solve Sudoku puzzles, and thought about the mental process I
used to solve them.  Then I decided it would be a bigger challenge to put that
process into code, and wrote http://cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/sudoku/sudoku.html
I thought it was cool that I could write a program that was smarter than me,
at least in some narrow domain.  But the unexpected result was that I lost
interest in solving the puzzles.  Why should I do it the hard way?  And what
fun is it to do it the easy way?

When a computer beat the world champion at chess, the game lost the
significance it once had.  You know who Kasparov is.  Who is the champion
today?

When calculators became available, teaching students to do arithmetic by hand
seemed less important.  Likewise for handwriting and keyboards.  We now use
computers to remember details of our lives like phone numbers and email
addresses, to get driving directions, to decide which email we want to read,
to do ever more of our work.

When machines can do all of our thinking for us, what will happen to us?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]