--- Nathan Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/21/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> Now there really is no difference between being able to judge the quality of
> > movie (relative to a particular viewer or audience), and being able to
> > generate high quality movies.
> >

> So is it just a lack of ambition that prevents your local reviewer from
> creating the next blockbuster? Really, you don't have to have the skills and
> knowledge necessary to make a film in order to grade it. I don't think AIs
> will be making movies until they're superhuman. Music, I can see being
> possible much sooner: the space of compositions is easier to explore, and
> the underlying rules are more explicit.

I am talking about for machines, not for people.  Obviously for humans,
generation is harder because the evaluation problem has already been solved.

For machines, this is a modeling problem.  Once you have an algorithm for
measuring the quality of a piece of art (movie, music, whatever), then
producing art is just an optimization problem.  You generate the art, evaluate
it, make incremental adjustments and repeat.  Generation is not technically
difficult.  Artists already use software tools such as synthesizers, animation
software, video editors, etc.

But we are nowhere close to solving the evaluation part.  It is an extremely
difficult problem, probably because it hasn't even been studied.  We
understand a lot about visual perception, speech recognition, and language
modeling.  But we understand practically nothing about what makes music sound
good or what makes a joke funny.  We just take it for granted that it requires
a human brain in the loop.

But really, I don't think this is any harder or easier than any other AI
problem.  (And I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty of music recognition).

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]