--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How does one 'solve art'?  Can that be done?  If not, then I doubt we should
> worry about AGI muscling us out of that arena.

The same way that humans have solved art, to distinguish good art from bad
art.  Obviously this is a matter of taste, but if I gave a program lots of
examples of what I thought was good art (or music, funny jokes, movies, or
whatever), and lots of negative examples, then it should be able to guess my
opinion of unseen examples.  If I gave you examples of songs that I like and
dislike, you could probably guess how I would rate other songs not on the
list, even if your musical tastes were different than mine.  So if you could
do it, why not a machine?

I am surprised how little attention has been given to this problem, given the
economic incentives, e.g. the Netflix prize, http://www.netflixprize.com/
Suppose instead of guessing how I would rate a movie based on how others have
rated it, it guessed by watching the movie?

Now there really is no difference between being able to judge the quality of a
movie (relative to a particular viewer or audience), and being able to
generate high quality movies.  This is an AI problem, just like language or
vision or robotics.  The only difference is that it has not received much
attention.  If there is an economic incentive and no insurmountable hurdles,
then we should expect it to eventually be solved.

Of course it's still fun to jam with your friends, even though others may
express their creativity by writing programs that generate music.  Just like
people will still solve Sudoku puzzles by hand even though computers can do it
faster.

> Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]