During the late 70's when I was at McGill, I attended a public talk given by
Feynman on quantum physics. After the talk, and in answer to a question posed
from a member of the audience, Feynman said something along the lines of :" I
have here in my pocket a prescription from my doctor that forbids me to answer
questions from or get into discussions with philosophers" or something like
that. After spending the last couple of days reading all the links on the
outrageous proposition that rocks, rainstorms or plates of spaghetti implement
the mind, I now understand Feynman's sentiment. What a waste of mental energy.
A line of discussion as equally fruitless as solipsism. I am in full agreement
with Richard Loosemore on this one.
Eric B. Ramsay

Stathis Papaioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 20/02/2008, Richard Loosemore
 wrote:

> I am aware of some of those other sources for the idea:  nevertheless,
> they are all nonsense for the same reason.  I especially single out
> Searle:  his writings on this subject are virtually worthless.  I have
> argued with Searle to his face, and I have talked with others
> (Hofstadter, for example) who have also done so, and the consensus among
> these people is that his arguments are built on confusion.

Just to be clear, this is *not* the same as Searle's Chinese Room
argument, which only he seems to find convincing.

--
Stathis Papaioannou