Separate process/system for encoding as a process server comes to mind, which
could be a virtual appliance somewhere... mp3 would really make a lot of things
easier and more agile in a mobile client (bb/iphone/windows mobile os).

Andy Spitzer wrote:
> Woof!
>
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:58:08 -0400, Arjun Nair <ana...@nortel.com> wrote:
>
>> would it be possible to switch that over to mp3?
> Possible?  Yes.
>
> Gonna happen?  No.
>
> MP3 patents aside (and that is a BIG aside), encoding MP3 takes 100 times
> more CPU effort than our current implementation.  Scale would suffer
> considerably.
>
> --Woof!

Not sure if we have a good alternative here. If we want to play it in the
browser we probably need mp3 (I'll be happy to be proven wrong here).
sipXconfig could of course encode it on demand (if we can solve a BIG aside
problem) meaning that only the messages that are played would be encoded.
But that of course does not really solve the scalability...
Suggestions welcomed.
D.