Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "James Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by SergeyLubinskiy:
http://wiki.apache.org/james/SummerOfCode2005/SergeyLubinskiyFastFail

  === Hello! ===

  I'm Sergey Lubinskiy. I study at http://www.msu.ru/en/ department of physics.
- I'm keen of programming although I don't specialize in it and posses certain
+ I'm keen of programming and although I don't specialize in it and I posses
certain
- load of knowledge on Java and internet protocols. I like hiking and
bike-riding :-)
+ load of knowledge on Java and internet protocols. I like hacking hiking and
bike-riding :-)

  My friends tell me that I tend to think and code a bit too academically but I
hope this will only help me to participate in the summer of code program.
Here's my proposal.

  === Problem ===
- James mail server performs reasonably well under normal load but heavy
+ James mail server performs reasonably well under normal load.
- spam traffic and dos attacks significantly degrade performance. Under
+ Heavy spam and virus traffic or dos attacks can significantly degrade its
performance.
+ Under the current design we can not discard SMTP message until it has been
completely recieved and saved to filesystem or database.
+ Combating spam requires us to adopt an alternative strategy - cut TCP
connections judging on senders IP, RCPT, FROM and alike without even looking
inside the message.
- the current design the main process of decision making about each particular
- mail message happens after the message has been fully received and filed
- to disk or database. Combating spam requires us to adopt an alternative
- strategy - we may wish to just cut TCP connections short based on IP and
- SMTP commands given before we even start to accept the message.

  Another issue is that under the current design very little control
  is possible over a running instance of James mail server - the main