Well I think pastebins really tend to be unreliable (most importantly,
content disappearing at unexpected time), so small files (whether text
or binary, as long as they are relevant) are best posted directly to the
mail list

 No. When it's about debug information such as strace outputs, the
information is transient - it loses importance once the bug is fixed.
So it doesn't matter that a pastebin doesn't last forever.

 and since compression saves space, tarballs and zipballs are
suitable for files longer than a few dozens of lines.  This practice is
recommended on some FOSS bug trackers, eg. <https://bugs.gentoo.org/>.

 Except that when you send a file to a mailing-list, the file is
duplicated to every recipient, in a "push" way, i.e. recipients have
no control over it. When you publish it on a site, be it a pastebin
or any other regular Web site, it's only duplicated in a "pull" way,
by clients who are actively interested in the contents of the file.
Publication should be done in a "pull" way as much as possible; a
mailing-list only works because all subscribers are generally interested
in the mailing-list contents, and I doubt all subscribers are interested
in verbose s6-rc strace outputs.

 I don't care what other people recommend. (Especially Gentoo.)
If I did what other people recommend instead of thinking for myself,
skarnet.org wouldn't exist. Or suck just as much as everything else.

--
 Laurent