Hi,
After a lot of looking and exploring I now wonder if it is a skype issue.
I tried playing my open reel machine and my cassette recorder through skype. My friends heard them both. So I suggested that we most likely are not dealing with a skype issue but maybe a Windows 10 issue.
we all have windows 10 and perhaps it happened during an update.
I sent this note along to them. Maybe some setting was changed or maybe even a device driver was corrupted.