>Why is the name server in /etc/resolv.conf specified using an IP
address and 
        >not a hostname?

        Chicken and egg problem. How would you resolve a name if you didn't
have
        a name server?

Sort-of; I recently discovered to my confusion that Solaris does this too. I
suspect it's because the resolver that reads /etc/resolv.conf does not look
at /etc/hosts to find out who's who.
I also suspect that the behaviour would have to be the same (as other *nix)
for Linux to be a compatible name service, but I haven't looked at the
source to see if this is so :)

Regards,

Jill.

___________________________________________
Jill Rowling
Senior Design Engineer & Unix System Administrator
Electronic Engineering Department, Aristocrat Leisure Industries
3rd Floor, 77 Dunning Ave Rosebery NSW 2018
Phone:  (02) 9697-4484          Fax:    (02) 9663-1412
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to