Solaris used /etc/nsswitch to determine what resources to use for resolution
of system requirements (not just name services)

You can specify multiple methods and the order to check them i.e. DNS FILES
(aka /etc/hosts) NIS <your own special method>

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Else [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, 29 January 2000 3:11
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] IP address


Isn't this a solarisism?  it will use nameservers from resolv.conf, or
/etc/hosts, but not both.  Which you want is determined by /etc/nsswitch
(my solaris is shaky at best)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sort-of; I recently discovered to my confusion that Solaris does this too.
I
> suspect it's because the resolver that reads /etc/resolv.conf does not
look
> at /etc/hosts to find out who's who.
> I also suspect that the behaviour would have to be the same (as other
*nix)
> for Linux to be a compatible name service, but I haven't looked at the
> source to see if this is so :)

-- 

Alexander Else
Internet Operations Technician
OzEmail / UUNET Asia Pacific Operations
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to