I have used both extensively in the past, Im no expert, my comments
don't matter
(but i know you'll read them.. )

At work we use Debian 2.2r3. I started out on Redhat at 4.2
and switched to debian for 8 months around the 2.1(i think) mark after
absolute recommendations
by a respected friend.

My experiences are good for both.
Redhat i still find easier for installs and the like. (but that's
probably just me as
I got into Debian late in the game)

<comment value="2c" type="Clay Money" worth="nadda">
<take with a grain of salt and a lemon>

Basis: I don't use XWindows. this is just for Development stuff,
command line, web development, databases
Redhat:
        Positive <emphasise>I</emphasise> like because of it's installs and
network card installs
           and detectection .. and it's pretty colors

      Negative <emphasise>I</emphasise> didn't like RedHat because
init.d was under /etc/rc.d/
          and not /etc/init.d (maybe this is a good thing. im just
fussy on minor points)
          and they 'change default installs of the original programs'

Debian:
        I guess, I like because I know where config stuff etc is,
                   ie not hidden behind tools and the like, but there is always
merit
               for tools :-)It is 'close to GNU' and I like
        It just 'Feels' more original .. and has that nostalgic smell.

        Negative: Im not much of an apt man .. ah well I tried.

.. ? and now (not that anyone should care)

I run RedHat 7.2 as my Dev Server, Debian is still installed on our
Work machines
        and I will be checking out Debian-woody shortly but am not in any
hurry to go chanign my dev environment
        as that takes too long to setup.
Smoothwall (hacked to pieces for my satellite connection with iHug)
toms for that quick fix on a box I destroy
No home debian :-(

<my_motto>
I love it when stuff works!
</my_motto>