On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:02:40PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

>   That said, Debian isn't generally supported directly by independent
>   software vendors such as Oracle, IBM, etc. That is changing, but you may
>   find it harder in the short term. SuSE and Red Hat enjoy good support from
>   many ISVs.

Actually Bdale Garbee has some interesting information about this from HP
(his employer). When they ship their server blade machines they are
preinstalled with Debian [1].

Worldwide about 40% are returned with payment and requests for Redhat,
SuSE or Turbolinux dominating geographically (US/Europe/Asia).

The other thing to note is that as distributions and other software vendors
start supporting/complying with the LSB this will be even less of an issue.
Oracle (for example) would love to say "We support any Linux distribution
that complies with LSB 1.1".

That would break their dependence upon RedHat/SuSE for Linux installs. Those
kinds of ISVs don't really care what distribution you use just as long as
it runs their stuff well and is simple to support.

Anand

[1]: Because there are no licencing or per unit fees for Debian.

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never