On 30 Oct 2002, Sebastian Welsh wrote:

> Instead, I'd work from the other direction. Once you have the mailserver
> working, you'll want to maintain it. Your company will replace staff,
> software will need upgrading, you may want to add further functionality.
> So, the first thing to do is to look at who will be managing the system.
> There are few things more discomforting than unmanaged, internet
> connected servers, IMHO. Your objective is to implement a solution that
> will be manageable. That means that the distribution and MTA need to be
> ones that the administrator is comfortable with.
>
> If you are looking at having someone else build the system, make sure
> that they either
>  - maintain the system
>  - provide adequate instruction in maintenance.

Which is why I recommend SME Server - you can admin it yourself with
minimal instruction calling on a tech only if you need hardware.
Security fixes are easy to monitor and install from the web-manager that
you also use to add users/fileshares/virtual domains, etc.

interest declaration: I sell SME Server but it's a brilliant distribution
particularly for first timers.