I've never heard anything like that before on a Linux machine.

I know that I have experienced self reboots on Windows machines due to
hardware problems (like busted memory or over heating CPU) but I would
imagine that the Linux kernel would panic instead of rebooting your
machine..but then again its hard to predict what might happen during
hardware failure/malfunction.

check all your power leads, make sure there aren't any that are only
just hanging in the socket or anything which might cause momentary power
loss for that single machine.

as for checking your logs, i think the best place to start is
/var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages

its hard to tell you what to look for, but the obvious things to look
for would be failed login attempts...this would indicate someone has
been trying to break in, look for daemons/services crashing unexpectedly
because this might indicate someone is exploiting your services with a
DOS attack.

Also one of those log files should confirm if your machine really did
reboot. Look for lines which indicate the system is going down for a
reboot.

Also check /var/log/security.log because this file should indicate if
there have been any changes to important files which might indicate if a
root kit has been installed.

As a security tip I suggest you turn off all your services including SSH
unless you really need it, and set your firewall to drop incoming icmp
packets from your INTERNET interface because this will make your machine
seem more invisible since people will receive no ping response from your
machine therefore they may think there is no machine on that ip. This
doesn't mean your INTERNET sharing wont work as well.

If you do HAVE to run certain services try to configure them in a way
where they do not return information which would reveal your type of
system. Services like Apache web server often send back information
detailing the version of apache that is running and the O/S which people
can use to run specific exploits on your system. Apache can be
configured to avoid sending this information. And if you can try to
limit the access to these services. If only a small amount of people
access these services try to limit the access to a specific domain or ip
by reconfiguring your services. This will reduce the possibility of an
outside attack.

Hope this info helps.