On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 13:13, Nikolai wrote:

> well, a couple of times a screwed my system quite badly it simply froze,
> and since I'm always in X Window envioronment 3 finger salute was the
> only option to reboot, console wasn't accessable either (not that I know
> a whola lotta things about how to recover with the command promt), so I
> dunno, I better keep the salute alive :-) until I learn more about the OS

I can be kinda tricky knowing how to recover from a busted X session...

I always drop to a console, execute ps aux and see if there's anything
"defunct" and then kill it if there is. Or you can try using
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill an X session...

but if your system wont even respond to that then i'd drop to a console
and execute killall X
That will either kill X or a bunch of other stuff on your system hehe :)

I'm not a big fan of the 3 finger salute, there's gotta be other ways to
do it. Thats why most PCs come with reset buttons in the case.