On 28/08/2003 6:35 PM +0000, Voytek wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can help:

I must introduce you to www.google.com{.au}. It is an extremely good search engine and has the answers to a lot of your questions. :)

can SquirelMail run with only Postfix and /Maildir, no IMAP, no POP, like,
accessing mail from /Maildir  ...?

Well, if you wanted to access Maildir directories directly it would require the web server to have access to everyone's mailboxes. Not very secure is it. I'm not sure if there are other reasons, but this alone is a good reason not to implement such functionality.

I do not have IMAP, and, aim to install POP, but, at this time don't have
POP either

Why is installing an IMAP server such a problem?

must I have IMAP or POP before I can use it ?

Yes, you need IMAP. There is a POP3 plugin for Squirrelmail but I think it's only for fetching mail from other POP3 servers once you are logged in.

the /etc/squirelmail config seems to only have setting for IMAP,
but not for POP, can it work with POP ?

See above.

sorry for asking lot of perhaps trivial Qs, BUT, I have been trying to
look up docs on SquirellMail, but, can't get on, it seems the
squirrelmail.org server is devoid of some files at this point:

Squirrelmail.org is down, yes, but Google isn't. :)

Regards,
Gonzalo.