O Plameras wrote:

> This is the base salary graduates start with 15 years ago, in
> at least two Companies I know. So, graduates base salary
> now should be higher than this. 15 years is a lot
> of years in the IT industry.

NOPE. Supply and demand. There is an enormous number of IT "graduates"
these days, so IMO advertised starting salaries are generally down to
what they were 15 years ago.

I posted the $15-20K one as it was offered each year for a few years.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is "industry" If you are in the pure IT
side, then "the best" can get some "spectacular" salaries, but other
industries tend not to have salaries too much above industry norm, so
the $25-20K was a dogsbody in finance as a start, but some of those
companies can reward well.

> A number of companies put graduate recruites through a rigorous training
> regime of from 3 to
> 6 months. This is all around training including programming.
>
> We must realize, once a graduate or anyone starts working,  his/her
> salary is reviewed every six months,

Make sure you ask about reviews before you start and it is a good idea
to have the review dates written into the letter of offer[1]. Being able
to ask and still getting an offer is another test of a good place to work.

Practically, you have to know you are going to get a salary/wage that
provides a lifestyle to establish a good career. You'd probably have
HECS to pay off, permant house/unit/etc/living space to establish. Maybe
further study. Maybe time to get back into leisure activities that study
pushed out.

The problem with starting at one place to gaine xperience and moving on
is that if you do this a number of times, good companies may no longer
consider you.

It is also IMO extremely important to be involved in finishing projects.

> So, it really depends on the employee himself/herself, rather than being
> a graduate by itself.

Correct, but it also depends on the company and your immediate and
higher manager(s).

[1] I had one immediate manager say I wasn't due for review because I'd
negotitated a higher starting salary, but then I produced the letter of
offer outlining starting salary and and three month review. Again the
higher manager wrote a very useful reference when I did leave after 12
months.

--
   Terry Collins {:-)}}}
   email: terryc at woa.com.au  www: http://www.woa.com.au

 "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
  security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin