Why SuSE
Why Ubuntu

I've never used SuSE so nothing too useful to contribute however:

<snip>

        Suse                                    Ubuntu
------------------------------------

<snip>

RPM is usually easy and lots of info    apt-get is very easy
is available about installed            not detailed info about packages
packages, changed packages,             eg apt-get install kubuntu-desktop adds
800M
contents of packaghes                      apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop  dels
40K !!

Being picky, comparing apt-get and rpm is not really right, comparing
yum or whatever other rpm management thingo's are out there now is
more appropriate (dpkg is more the equiv for rpm). Not really a
comment on main point of your comparison though. For that case
apt-cache show <package> is usually pretty good, although I can see
that running it for kubuntu-desktop may not make it crystal clear that
it is a meta-package (do rpm distro's have that concept??, if not
maybe an additional point to add because it's a good feature). It does
however say that the installed size is "40" (it just has
heeeeeeeeeeaps of dependencies :)

A more contstructive comment I could add might be that with ubuntu
(and debian) you tend to go to one place to get all your packages (ie.
their repo's), whereas my (now fairly dated) experience with other
distro's is that you tended to need to add other repositries and
therefore start to head down dodgy dependency street. Whether this
applies to SuSE (or other's anymore) I'm not really sure.

Cheers.......Steve