Ben wrote:

installing automatix in Ubuntu is very easy (no command line needed)
and addresses all the non driver, free like beer stuff.

I've heard nasty reports about it, but it's been fine on every system
I've put it on (four so far with Ubuntu 6.10), and probably is only an
issue if you're doing custom setup of stuff - so should be ok for any
non-geek.

I've heard nasty reports too. The new poster child for this functionality is "EasyUbuntu" http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/ which has a very nice gui, simple instructions (some command line needed at the start -- just cut'n'paste) and further adds itself to your Applications menu for future access.

As far as I know they have roughly the same functionality, although Easy Ubuntu has the big plus of being much easier to find when doing a basic web search. ;)

All the best,