We are Not Political Correctness R Us.

thus can we all Drop this Political Correctness Nightmare and start discussing Linux related topics?

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 01:07:08PM +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
Alan L Tyree <a...@austlii.edu.au> writes:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:29:32 +1100
Sonia Hamilton <so...@snowfrog.net> wrote:
PS You might want to lookup what "tonto" means [1] before you go
around calling people it. It was a term of disrespect for Amerindians
on the US/Mexican border in the 1800's. At least be grammatically
correct, and call me "tonta" :-p [1]
http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/tonto

As a native Spanish speaker, I'll take offense if someone calls me
tonto. BTW, I've spoken to Sonia in Spanish and she speaks that language
very well.

For anyone born in the US during the last century, as I was, Tonto is the Lone Ranger's faithful Indian companion. When we were kids, it was worth fighting to be Tonto rather than the paleface. It's probably no
longer politically correct, but for different reasons than those
mentioned.

When I was a little kid, I couldn't understand why the loyal American
Indian was call "stupid" (tonto/tonta == stupid). The idea burnt in my
young brain was that all the American indians (from Tierra del Fuego in
Argentina to Alaska) were all stupid people for the USAians.

BTW (again), I also don't understand why the USA is call America. I'm
from Colombia and I'm an American. The continent is called America and
don't tell me it's call Americas.

Uh, no. That would be inappropriate for *exactly* the reason mentioned, which is to say that it is an insulting racial epithet. The fact that
it was used in that sense on television doesn't change those facts.

So, just because the term was not seen as insulting doesn't make it any
less insulting ??? just like "paleface" is.

Aye.