* Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net> [2009-03-19 12:02:41 +1100]:

> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:46 +1100, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> > Is there any reason why you want to use a *distributed* VCS? For
> > personal stuff it's probably overkill, and using a centralised VCS will
> > make your life easier. In which case use Subversion.
>
> Whoa there Tonto. Using *nearly* any DVCS is simpler for personal use
> than using a centralised client-server system like svn.

Why?

I'm still learning git, but one of the things I found annoying was that
I need to commit to the local repo, then merge my changes up my
"central" git repo, then commit my changes on the "central" git repo.
(Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way, I'm only up to "page 2" of the
manual). Whereas with a centralised VCS check in only takes one step.

However I can see the advantages mentioned by John Ferlito of better
branching in DVCS's. And of course if you've regularly got limited
connectivity, a DVCS is the only way to go.

PS You might want to lookup what "tonto" means [1] before you go around
calling people it. It was a term of disrespect for Amerindians on the
US/Mexican border in the 1800's. At least be grammatically correct, and
call me "tonta" :-p
[1] http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/tonto