james <j...@tigger.ws> writes:
> On Friday 19 February 2010 05:37:31 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
>
>> I want to set up a pair of 1 TB drives on an HP DL145 G3 and I'm looking
>> for suggestions as to the best way to partition them.
>>
>> Would I be best using software RAID and LVM? Given that it's a fairly
>> busy machine (mail server for 40+ users) I'd like to achieve:
>>
>> 1) Speed
>> 2) Reliability
>> 3) Ease of maintenance.
>>
>> Anyone care to take a punt at a layout?
>
> In spite of Seagate's paper (... More than an interface) cautioning that
> multiple disks in a machine will make them fail quicker and be slower nobody
> seems to heed this.

Multiple spindles *does* increase the number of hardware failures your system
will have.  Using redundant RAID makes your system tolerant of hardware
failures.  Balancing these can be complex. :)

Slower, though ... is a bit of a strange claim.  Not because it is false, but
because the answer is complex: you can, for example, double read speed and
halve write speed, using a two disk RAID 1 array ... in the ideal case.

Is that slower, or faster, or both?

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707