On 20/02/2010, at 11:53 AM, Brett Coady <bc196...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

The trouble with Bonnie and IOzone is that they test the filesystem , for my example I was looking at the raw disk speed for raid results.

Well if you keep the kernel and filesystem identical between runs you end up benchmarking the hardware. Still useful for the purpose of comparision.

I have since that learnt that some Motherboard backup the BIOS to the end HDD and have a setting to do so. My motherboard has no option for this and has dual BIOS anyway but it still appears to do it!

The difference in drive size is not the dual bios at all. And leaving a buffer at the end of drives when using software raid is a good idea cos diffrences in drive geometry will always happen.

Dave