That is true , however the original poster was asking about RAID and
partitioning , He hadn't mention
File-systems and that's is why I did the benchmarking the way I did to try and
shed some light on Raid gains/loses and speed.

>>I have since that learnt that some Motherboard backup the BIOS to the end HDD
>>and have a setting to do so. My motherboard has no option for this and has
>>dual BIOS anyway but it still appears to do it!
>>

>The difference in drive size is not the dual bios at all. And leaving a buffer
>at the end of drives when using software raid is a good idea cos diffrences in
>drive geometry will always happen.

Are you sure about this, I spent quite a bit of time trying to work out where
my missing 1MB had gone?
On initial Boot the Drives had exactly the same size on both.
Also to try and test the problem I actually swapped the drives over and guess
what, I lost 1 MB from the opposite drive! (yeah I checked the electronic
serial numbers)

Ahhh, Upon further investigation I find something interesting and I am not
alone!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

An application called Sleuthkit tells me more.

This is handy to know for someone setting RAID up,
they even give examples on how to remove stubborn HPA

regards
Brett