Dear all,

Many thanks to all that helped yesterday and tonight for restoring my
server.

Everything works fine now, but I have some unanswered questions. Maybe
someone can shed some light on this.

Since I ran into trouble after updating my USB drive with the latest SmartOS
version some things are unclear at this moment.

Updating SmartOS

1.       What is the recommended update/upgrade strategy for SmartOS?

2.       Where is the right wiki for updating the SmartOS USB or SmartOS OS?

3.       I followed and used this
https://github.com/calmh/smartos-platform-upgrade and it seemed to work ok.
But is ok to use it?

ZPool:

1.       I created a log and cache on a SSD, but used partitions c2d0p2 and
c2d0p4 instead of slices. This seems to have caused the biggest error for my
Zpool

2.       The SSD was still alive but Zpool could not find the partitions.
The SSD is not attached to the RAID controller but (due to some physical
mounting problems) connected to the onboard SATA controller. Can this have
caused the error?

SmartOS

1.       The new SmartOS release I burned to USB was version
20160121T174331Z

2.       During the "no install" procedure it asked for username and pass.
The root/root was not correct. Thanks to someone on IRC I was guided to
http://us-east.manta.joyent.com/Joyent_Dev/public/SmartOS/smartos.html#20160
121T174331Z

3.       The password for root mentioned on this page was not working. The
OS kept complaining about something and it looked to me that the OS was
trying to verify the password to a central system. But since the network
drivers were not loaded this failed of course. Is this normal or did I do
something wrong?

4.       My base version was 20151210T194528Z, and I could log in with
root/root during the "noinstall". I didn't have to use the special password
from the webpage?