Hi,

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 00:05:43 +0200
Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering what happended to the discussion about three different
> databases available. Back at the last time this topic came up I felt
> that there will be ongoing work to avoid this concurency and try to
> get the databases merged.

thanks for bringing that up, it's quite sad, actually.

> Best would still be to join forces and go for one central collection
> point. I don't see this happen tho. So please, step back and think
> about how you are able to sync for efforts at least.

One other possibility if this isn't possible for one reason or the
other is to aggregate the individual databases into one big database.
The licenses would allow for it and opencellid as well as cellhunter
export the raw data (Openbmap's "Offline API will be available during
first semester 2009" according to their website). I would think of this
as purely a generated database without any upload functionality to
avoid "yet another cell location database project" pulling into a
fourth direction.

> Freesmartphone, which will hopefully a big consumer of this in the
> future, also would like to see a effort to collect the position of
> wifis and use them in combination with GSM for better accuracy
> outdoor and also in buildings where no GPS is possible at all.

Right, during the OpenExpo in Bern Jan hacked something together to see
how well GSM locating would perform using the cellhunter db and accuracy
was quite okay (position was about 200-500m off).

Regards,
Daniel Willmann