Hi,

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 15:03, Onen wrote:
Another point is the other signals than GSM. Our initial vision was to build a database of communicating objects, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc...

Can anybody give me some ideas how BT should be useful here? From what I know
there are very little fixed BT accesspoints around. Likely to be killed by wifi
anyway. I associate with bluetooth something that is mobile itself therefor not
useful to get an idea rom your current location from.

Well maybe Bluetooth was not the best example. I wanted to put the emphasis that the original idea of openBmap was to get a map of all communicating objects (RFID, future things, ...). Nevertheless here are some examples of static BT points we may encounter pretty soon:

* some experiments have been carried on in Paris subway about BT beacons which help blind people find their ways in the labyrinth. They have a special device at the ear, which says where they are, and if they go in the wrong direction, etc...

* ad panels in the subway, or on the street, may have bluetooth to distribute details to phones

* in Paris, there are BT stations on the street, you can get connected to with your phone, and download maps and or details of the area you currently are.

A reason why BT may still last over WiFi may be the power needed to have BT on in comparison of WiFi, don't you think?

If anybody sees more examples...

Onen