On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:59:24AM +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.10.2009, 10:39 +0100 schrieb Al Johnson:
> > On Wednesday 14 October 2009, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > > On a slightly related note (please open a seperate thread, if anyone
> > > wants to talk about that), now that gypsy is more or less dead and the
> > > protocol didn't find much distribution/acceptance, I seriously consider
> > > proposing to ditch it for FSO2 and come up with a sane GPS dbus API for
> > > fsogpsd (we talked about that last year on this mailing list). Your work
> > > on a GPS configuration API could be the first bits of the new style.
> >
> > If we're looking at a fresh API we should be looking at positioning in
> > general. We have other sources of data such as cell lookup and
> > magnetometers.
> > In cars we may have access to speed data over CAN bus. We should provide
> > some
> > reasonably direct interface to each sensor available, plus a best estimate
> > of
> > position, orientation and velocity bsed on the available data.
>
> True, however I see this as seperate layer above GPS, which projects
> like geoclue work on as well. I always like to provide multiple layers
> of abstraction for application programmers to chose, this approach is
> manifested by things like org.freesmartphone.GSM (lowlevel) ->
> org.freesmartphone.Phone (highlevel), or org.freesmartphone.Device
> (lowlevel) -> org.freesmartphone.Usage (highlevel). I think we should
> still create a GPS level protocol that fits the dbus model better than
> gypsy.

Feel free to tell me that I'm totally clueless, as I may well be, but
what is wrong with using gpsd for the GPS bit of that?

gpsd apparently provides some sort of dbus -- I can imagine that there
are things not exposed via dbus that could be, but isn't that a reason
to request the extra stuff be added to gpsd's dbus rather than indulging
in another round of wheel reinvention?

Cheers, Phil.