On Thursday 15 October 2009 11:54:41 Al Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 October 2009, Sander van Grieken wrote:

> > > Feel free to tell me that I'm totally clueless, as I may well be, but
> > > what is wrong with using gpsd for the GPS bit of that?
> > >
> > > gpsd apparently provides some sort of dbus -- I can imagine that there
> > > are things not exposed via dbus that could be, but isn't that a reason
> > > to request the extra stuff be added to gpsd's dbus rather than
> > > indulging in another round of wheel reinvention?
> >
> > It's not wheel reinvention, but abstracting all positioning services into
> >  one position provider. GPS is one of the positioning services, but not
> > the only one.
>
> Mickey is proposing both the abstract positioning interface and the lower
> level provider interfaces should be available. Phil is suggesting we stick
> with gpsd for the low level GPS interface unless anyone knows a good reason
> not to.

I know, I'm not suggesting otherwise :) I was merely supporting Mickey's point
of view of
having both high and low level interfaces.

> > gpsd is (AFAIK) a GPS/NMEA multiplexer, in that it allows multiple _GPS_
> >  clients to get their positioning information, in NMEA format. A client
> >  that relies on this will have to be rewritten if another positioning
> >  provider is used, or if ublox is used instead of NMEA.
>
> That was true once, but gpsd has moved on. It can read from most binary GPS
> protocols now, including ublox. The gpsd protocol is changing to a JSON
>  based one, and there is a dbus interface too, though it appears new and
> undocumented.
>
> http://gpsd.berlios.de/gpsd.html

Ok it seems gpsd is starting to provide the highlevel abstract interface. Good.
I still
hope though that the distinction and separation between high and lowlevel will
be
maintained.

grtz,
Sander