I should think a simple general variable expansion in all string
values would suffice for my use case.

More complex use cases would be better served by generating the .yaml
file as I do now.

So, yes, ${release-version}, but set it via  --variable
release-version=foo rather than --release-version=foo,
and support ${joe-bob} and ${billyjoe}, or whatever variables the
author cares to define.