This might be there in the event that you need to quote certain arguments or handle special characters??? I've found some different requirements for command line arguments and special characters such as "&" which require either quoting them or using an octal encoded value (I'm no expert on this stuff). Maybe the alternate field helps in this instance. Anyway, it looks like it is unnecessary although functional in this instance. Considering that there are many places where you enter both path and arguments in the same registry value, I would assume that there is no problem with doing it that way for the service.

Matt

Andy Schmidt wrote:

Yes, I too suspect that SRVANY actually allows the specifying of the entire
command line in the "Appliation" string, even though both the Knowledgebase
article and the full documentation implies otherwise.  (The KB article and
the documentation are very precise in what the "Application" string should
be: just the path, name and extension of the executable.)

The question is whether Microsoft ever intended it to work that way or if
that possibly "accidental" capability may cease working at a later time.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.
600 East Crescent Avenue, Suite 203
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458-1846

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)
Fax:    +1 201 934-9206

http://www.HM-Software.com/

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark E. Smith Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 02:27 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: [sniffer] Your Sniffer Setup

Looks like both work. If you examine the difference you'll probably see why. One (just with the Application setting specifies all of the parameters in the SZ string.

The other specifies the .exe in the App string and the Auth Code and
"persistent" parameter in the parameters string. I'm also guessing that
Sniffer really doesn't care about the app path so it's probably working in
this case.

The "proper" way is probably the way where multiple SZ values are specified
although both will work with Sniffer.

-- ===================================================== MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro. http://www.mailpure.com/software/ =====================================================