|
One thing to consider before making the Imail ->
MDaemon jump (or similar mailservers) ... When I evaluated MDaemon, I
noticed that messages are stored in individual .msg files inside the user's
mailbox directory. Imail stores the mail in a common mailbox.mbx
file. If your users store their mail on the server (webmail/imap/pop3 on
server), you would have to migrate these messages over. I've yet to see a utility built for parsing a
mailbox.mbx file into multiple mail.txt files, though I'm sure one could be
made relatively easily in java/perl/whatever.
I asked MDaemon support about possible import
tools, and they suggested using a pop retrieval program on the individual
mailboxes. Unfortunately that solution falls short in a few areas for
us.
1. For a large number of mailboxes, that can
become time consuming.
2. It's limited to only being able to
download a user's inbox.mbx, leaving their sent items, drafts, and
other imap folders behind.
3. MDaemon does not support direct mail to a
user's submailbox (Imail's equivalent of a mailbox delimiter). I was
hoping that I could directly query [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which I
can) and have Bob's Sent.mbx redirected automatically to a Sent folder on the
MDaemon server ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
No such luck.
Please understand that this was something that we
anticipated would cause issues with our migration. All of this may be
a nonissue for you if your users are emptying their mailboxes regularly.
This behavior was noted on General Download/Release 7.20. I've got no clue
what later/beta versions can or cannot do.
Good luck!
John
|
- [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Jim Matuska
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Jorge Asch
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Jim Matuska
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Jorge Asch
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT SniffMe
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Tech Support
- Re[2]: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Charles Frolick
- Re: [sniffer] MDaemon Opinion OT Ken Chamberlain
