Hello SniffMe,

Thursday, November 11, 2004, 2:38:05 AM, you wrote:

S> One thing to consider before making the Imail -> MDaemon jump
S> (or similar mailservers)�...� When I evaluated MDaemon, I noticed
S> that messages are stored in individual .msg files inside the user's
S> mailbox directory.� Imail stores the mail in a common mailbox.mbx
S> file.� If your users store their mail on the server
S> (webmail/imap/pop3 on server), you would have to migrate these
S> messages over.��I've yet to see a utility built for parsing a
S> mailbox.mbx file into multiple mail.txt files, though�I'm sure one
S> could be made relatively easily in java/perl/whatever.� 
S> �
S> I asked MDaemon support about possible import tools, and they
S> suggested using a pop retrieval program on the individual
S> mailboxes.� Unfortunately that solution falls short in a few areas
S> for us.
S> �1. For a large number of mailboxes, that can become time consuming.�
S> �2.�It's limited to only being able to download a user's
S> inbox.mbx, leaving their sent items, drafts, and other�imap folders
S> behind.
S> �3. MDaemon does not support direct mail to a user's submailbox
S> (Imail's equivalent of a mailbox delimiter).� I was hoping that I
S> could directly query [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which I can) and
S> have Bob's Sent.mbx redirected automatically to a Sent folder on
S> the MDaemon server ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).� No such luck.
S> �
S> Please understand that this was something that we anticipated
S> would cause issues with�our migration.� All of this may be a
S> nonissue for you if your users are emptying their mailboxes
S> regularly.� This behavior was noted on General Download/Release
S> 7.20.� I've got no clue what later/beta versions can or cannot do.
S> �
S> �
S> Good luck!
S> �
S> John
S> �
S> �
  
Try searching for a mbox to maildir conversion util for Unix/Linux.
They are bound to exist.  Imail uses the standard unix mbox file with
their proprietary managemnet files (.uid, .srt, .idx).  I had looked a
long time ago and seem to remember having some luck.

-- 
Best regards,
 Charles                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]


This E-Mail came from the Message Sniffer mailing list. For information and 
(un)subscription instructions go to 
http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/Help.html

Reply via email to