Agreed, however reverse DNS is not a universal solution as things like RR accounts will come from the same base domain as RR spam zombies, and you would otherwise have to track down each unique reverse DNS entry.

I would test a connection to the SMTP server instead. Most of these servers will at least respond. So if a domain like yahoo.com, gmail.com, rr.com, etc. is found in the reverse DNS for a new IP rule, you would then check to see if it at least responded to a port 25 connection, and if it did, skip that rule.

Note that I score IP rules at half the weight of the others. There are more common issues with international ISP's and webmail providers than with things like yahoo.com, gmail.com, rr.com, etc. Many don't get a lot of international traffic so they don't notice it.

Matt

Andy Schmidt wrote:
Hi,

Unless I'm mistaken, rule 1370762 was targeting the same address range.

If I may make a suggestion:
Before the spam-trap robots are allowed to block major, well-known and
easily recognizable email providers, how about the robot script pulls a
WHOIS and a Reverse DNS and runs that data against a table of "can't block"
entities - or at least spits those out for "human review".

If that can't be done, then how about the robots issue an hourly report of
"suspect" IPs. A no-brainer script can pull matching WHOIS and RevDNS for
quick human review and overriding (if necessary).

I would rather those obvious bad rules are caught before or very quickly
after they go live. There is always some delay before I get first reports
until I realize that this is a "real" problem. Then I have to try to get
headers from end-users before I can dig into logs... Hours and hours pass
(especially if it's overnight events). In the meantime the problem escalates
all around me.

Thanks,
Andy