Hi Jonathan:

That's exactly the problem. These particular rules were blocking Google mail
servers - NOT specific content.

Obviously, as already discussed in the past, it IS necessary that these
IP-based blocks are put under a higher scrutiny. I'm not suggesting that the
"automatic" bots should be disabled, I'm just proposing that "intelligence"
must be incorporated that will use RevDNS and WHOIS to identify POSSIBLY
undesirable blocks and to flag those for human review by Sniffer personnel
so that they don't end up poisoning mail severs of all their clients.

I understand that occasionally some innocent IP can be added accidentally
and there is little to avoid that -- but for the top 50 email domains, extra
security/intelligence should be in place so that we don't suddenly reject
huge volumes of legitimate mail by blocking hotmail, aol, yahoo, google or
similar providers! These kind of errors can be caught much earlier.

Example - if a "IP rules qualifier" script would do a simple DNS lookup to
validate the IP address through SPF and if the RevDNS indicates one of those
top 50 email domains, then we can be virtually certain that this IP address
should not be blocked. Instead other (= content) rules must be used to block
the specific Spam.

If the script would also print a column of WHOIS and RevDNS information and
sorts it by domain, then it will be very easy for a human to review that
list and zero in on a few "worrysome" IP rules to qualify if they should
remain in place or need to be yanked in a hurry!

Best Regards,
Andy