  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ;
Soaring@airage.com<mailto:Soaring@airage.com>
  Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 9:15 AM
  Subject: Re: [RCSE] Contest Format

  A note in support of Tom's comments, I noticed that the Munich F3k Contest
registration opened up last week.  I was considering going over and was trying
to organize it with some friends. The competition was full in 3 days 110
confirmed 15 on a back up list. I have seen this over and over in European
Events. I have also noticed a younger crowd showing up. My Best regards Larry
    Wow lots of stuff here.

    In general contests outside the USA are well attended. Contests attendance
    inside the USA is diminishing.  Why?

    Outside the USA they typically fly F3J or a local version of F3J with F3B
    winches that the pilots supply btw. They are strict about being on the line
    in time; they don't "soften" the task for anyone. They play hardball over
    there and their attendance is thriving.

    Inside the USA most of our formats are the same since the late 70's while
    our models have evolved over the last 30+ years the contests have not. Our
    attendance is shrinking, we give in to a sandbagger, and we don't want to
    change anything to keep the pilots we have coming back. We don't push
    ourselves to try anything new and learn something. Sure the new guy has lots
    to learn starting from zero but after 6 months what is next? Guys soaring is
    not difficult.
    How many of us are significantly better pilots after the first 2 or 3 years?
    What have you learned the last 3 years? We quit flying if the conditions get
    a little rough. You can choose your issue all day long as why we get board
    or why attendance is shrinking.

    BTW, Each and every contest I have been to is a social event! That's the
    nature of humans. We tend to have fun when we can. I would say lets play a
    little hardball and push our skills a bit and move up a peg. The USA was at
    one time a soaring leader we sure can't say that anymore.

    Tom Copp
    Composite Specialties
    www.f3x.com

  Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
shape<http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489> in
the new year.