Darwin, I think your answer lies in the unique qualities and general low
numbers of the soaring communities.

 INMHO I think the lack of Soaring adoption into 2.4 occurs for a few
reasons that follow but are not limited to:

The standard TX for many soaring enthusiasts is the Sanwa / Airtronics
 Stylus and many are waiting for a 2.4 GHZ module due out before next
season. The JR and Futaba systems offer most of the Stylus functionality and
in some cases a few features I would like to see on a stylus but many pilots
are loath to give up their Stylus yet. If  Sanwa fails ot get thier module
out I May have to fly JR myself.

People don't want to poke holes in their nose cone or fuse to allow the two
whiskers to exit. 2.4 friendly noses are becomeing main stream and this may
also push adoption up.

The FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) factor is still high. I just attended
an f3J contest and someone on my flight line had to get a backup model
because thier primary failed to  bind up. Many see 2.4 technology as still
teething and would like to see it get to a more critical mass before putting
it into something as unforgiving as an unpowered aircraft. Fail safe in a
glider is a crap shoot at best so trying out a new technology that could
leave you free flying is just plain scary.

The real pressure to move to 2.4 is to attain a frequency-less situation
that avoids conflicts. Glider pilots are the geeks of the R/C crowd and at
the  fields I fly, on a sunny Saturday or Sunday morning I have a hard time
finding another pilot to talk to let alone conflict with. I have to make a
call and organize to get someone to show up there when I am flying!

Contest pilots are the ones who are moving fairly fast towards 2.4 which is
a very small number of a select small crowd. I will be there next season
myself.  My secondary field is very close to a private power field so the
prospect of removing conflicts is my main advantage.

My main concern is that 2.4 is unregulated. I wonder how long will it
be before we are competing for space along with channel hopping WIFI cards,
SUPER long range household phones and other devises. Unregulated spectrum
rarely creates good communication between industries. I am sure that given
any pressure that manufactureres will inovate and overcome so I will see you
in 09 with a 2.4 glider :)

Just my two cents.