Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
> Wow some awesome responses!!! Thanks guys!
>
> Seems like the consensus says that the 4801 is an obvious choice for me,
> I may focus my sights on that. Still not sure what firewall solution I
> am going to use yet, I'll admit I'm a little Debian biased, but playing
> with BSD may be advantageous as well seeing as how both my desktop and
> laptop are Mac's :)

If you like Debian, then try Debian on it.  The "stable" version usually
works pretty well on router class devices, but you will want to build a
(newer) custom kernel with explicit support for the hardware of the 4801
or 5501.  Most stability issues people have with Debian (and other Linux
for that matter) are a direct result of _kernel_ version and settings.
I usually avoid putting Ubuntu on Soekris devices, because it is heavier
than a plain Debian install.

Once you have the dhcp & tftp stuff working to do an install, playing
around with OpenBSD and FreeBSD on Soekris is fun and fairly easy. So,
if you are thinking about trying either of them, you may as well.  You
may find that you prefer one of the BSDs.