On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:14:52 -0400
Mike Chirico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 08:35:38AM -0400, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
> > Wow some awesome responses!!! Thanks guys!
>
> I'd recommend the following:
>
> net5501-70
> SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Card (30MB/s)
> Atheros Wireless Chip (www.netgate.com)
> USB Numeric Display (www.delcom-eng.com)
>
> It's nice having a little extra memory and power, which gives you the
> option of running both a web server and mail server on your router,
> plus any applications you desire. In addition, kernel modules can be
> compiled directly on the device as well - you may end of hacking USB
> and or wireless devices.

Actually, a net4801 is more than enough for this: I'm running
FreeBSD 7-STABLE on it, doing ppp with mpd5 on a slow 1 Mbps
DSL line, pf filtering, public webserver is lighttpd, serving
mostly static content to a few private domains with moderate load,
postfix + cyrus-imap and, of course BIND. There's still enough
breathing room on those 128 MB and CPU to run a DHCP server.

I've also ran an NFS server for a couple of diskless workstations
on it, in addition the all the above for a few months just for
the fun of it: while it works very well, I'd wish it had 256MB
instead of 128MB, but I was able to serve up 4 simultaneous
diskless machines with 128MB without a hitch and without them
getting in the way of the normal routing + web + mail + DNS
workload.

The net4801 (and everything above its specs) is a very fine
embedded system to play with. ;)

Cheers,
-Farid.