Jan, Ted, List,

This has been an interesting project. I needed to build a new image for
my 4801 with limited interruptions of server. That did not happen, it
would have been quicker to that the server offline and use it to rebuild
the system. The process was a learning experience and something I will
use in the future.

To start with I used this link:
    http://www.linuxvillage.ca/support/soekris4801.html
It worked to a point.  The drivers for the Soekris did not get installed.
I found that I needed to install x11-common to get them, that worked.
Now to the Udev stuff. Have not yet figured it out, I will post the
fix when I get it.
Another problem I am seeing is a very annoying message taht make the
serial console useless. Over and over:
  tail /var/log/kern.log
Feb 20 18:00:01 server kernel: [  949.541144] Info fld=0x0
Feb 20 18:00:01 server kernel: [  949.541145] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add.
Sense: No additional sense information
Feb 20 18:00:01 server kernel: [  949.555006] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense
Key : No Sense [current]
Feb 20 18:00:01 server kernel: [  949.555010] Info fld=0x0
Feb 20 18:00:01 server kernel: [  949.555012] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add.
Sense: No additional sense information
Feb 20 18:00:07 server kernel: [  955.007900] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense
Key : No Sense [current]
I think this is be cause I am booting from a USB HDD and maybe fixable
with a kernel option?

All in all, it is mostly there.

Thanks again to all for your time.

--