I have a

  net5501 (0.5G ram)
  Soekris 1.5A power supply
  40G pata drive
  vpn1411 coprocessor
  NetBSD (netbsd-5 branch)

and

  WD Elements 2T external drive, USB connector to net5501

I've been having two mysterious problems.

One is that (with or without USB disk), booting takes about 3 minutes.
This was true with PXE boot as well as booting from the 40G drive.  With
PXE, the delay was after pxeboot_ia32.bin was loaded over tftp, and
before that program printed its banner.  (I had to set consdev in the
pxe loader so NetBSD didn't try to write to vga, but the delay happens
anyway.)  I'll write about this separately later, but wanted to mention
it in case someone thinks it's related to the USB problem.

The other problem is that the USB disk seems to work but I had a lockup
when rsyncing lots of data to it.  The disk has a single gpt partition,
and on dk0 (the partition) I have a single UFS2 filesystem that I mount
with journaling (WAPBL, "o log").  This kind of disk works fine on a
regular computer, and I wrote and read this particular entire disk to
test it (before using newfs).

I get only 12 MB/s read, but I understand that the USB controller is
slow.  The problem is that after copying several GB, I got:

Mar  6 17:17:32 foo /netbsd: umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
Mar  6 17:17:32 foo /netbsd: umass0: Western Digital Ext HDD 1021, rev
2.00/20.02, addr 2
Mar  6 17:17:32 foo /netbsd: umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
Mar  6 17:17:32 foo /netbsd: scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
Mar  6 23:03:43 foo /netbsd: umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
Mar  6 23:04:48 foo /netbsd: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
Mar  6 23:05:53 foo /netbsd: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

which I believe provoked a panic in the filesystem code (a NetBSD issue
that I'll debug - I have a backtrace).  Following this, detaching and
reattaching the USB cable led to:

Mar  7 17:10:41 foo /netbsd: uhub1: device problem, disabling port 1

but rebooting restored the drive.  The 40G disk was not particularly
loaded during the failure event.

I'm going to try a few more times, and then switch to powering the
net5501 directly off a West Mountain Radio Rigrunner with a 30 Ah
battery (plus about 3-4 4 Ah batteries) that are on float charge, to see
if this is due to the power supply fading on current peaks.

My collected net5501 notes are at:

http://www.lexort.com/blog/net5501.html

but they have fairly little additional relevant content at this time.

    Greg