On 2011-04-14, Steve Clark <scl...@netwolves.com> wrote:
>     Look I was only responding to the person that wanted to use *BSD and
>     not have to make public enhancements, changes, etc,&nbsp; he or his
>     company<br>
>     made. That to me makes it seem he/them was/were only interested in
>     taking and not returning anything. <br>

It is quite possible to provide source code for most changes you make
and hold back on some of them. Indeed GPL can be a real administrative
hassle if you have some changes which upstream is not interested in
taking, you have to maintain a local copy of any code you've supplied
to others just in case one of them decides they want a copy of the
source sometime in the future.

Many people *do* feed code back even when they aren't required to,
because to do otherwise often means redoing your work to fit in with
changes made in upstream code. For any significant change this can
be a huge amount of work, so there's no point in keeping something
private unless it's either trivial or worth a lot.

In any event, the GPL doesn't stop people from taking without
returning anything. I would guess probably the majority of people
who don't pay for their software give nothing back whatever the
license. GPL doesn't force people to give anything back, it's
just about making sure people who receive your binaries also
get source code.

Anyway you should wait for my brother, he's much bigger
and much tastier... Trip trap, trip trap, off to munch the
sweet grass the other side of the river.