I'm doing pretty much exactly what you are proposing, except:

  I'm running NetBSD instead.

  I have a 40G laptop drive with the IDE bracket.

Beware that SSDs are sometimes thicker than laptop drives.   I believe
that the 9.5mm drives are what fits in the case.

On the 5501 you can't boot from USB, and the transfer rate to external
disks is about 1/2 what it is on regular desktops.

I would get the higher-end 5501 with more memory; it seems little enough
more $ and you can't upgrade later.  (I expect the box to be still
working fine in 5-10 years, maybe much longer.)

The standard case is nice.