* Brian Johnson <brian.l.john...@gmail.com> [2011-08-25 10:25:17]:
> I have been running a 4801 running OpenBSD on a Sandisk camera grade
> CF card for 5 years or so without issue.  Run swapless and put var on
> a ramdisk and you should be fine.  I keep / mount ro to be on the safe
> side but have

I've been doing pretty much the same on a pair of net4501's for about
8 or 9 years, powered on 99.99% since then, using cheap 32 MB CF cards
mounted read-only. Never had a problem with them, OpenBSD JFW's.

> For what its worth, the limited CPU and RAM on the 4801 have never
> been an issue for me routing a home cable connection, firewalling with
> pf and providing VPN via OpenVPN so a 5501 should do you fine.
> Install has also always gone smoothly.  All in all I love my 4801

Unfortunately I've upgraded my internet connection and now the 4501
can't handle the bandwidth, so I'm patiently waiting for the 6501 which
I hope will give me another 8 or 9 years of trouble-free service.

Matt