Hi there Todd;

If you're looking to build a BSD based router out of a Soekris box and
you're not really into hacking your own stuff these days, I highly
recommend you try out PFSense (http://pfsense.org)

It's a FreeBSD 8.x based routing/firewalling distribution.  They have a
native Flash DD image that works extremely well on a Net5501.  I have a
few in my lab and have benchmarked them at 80Mb/sec (firewalling) and
40Mb/sec (Firewall+VPN) with 3 network zones and a SPAN port.  This is
on a Net5501-60 w/ 512MB RAM.

PFSense has an HTTP(s) interface, supports layer 2 bridging,
aliasing/grouping and a great number of enterprise-type firewalling and
routing features - even native Radius authentication for VPN setups.

Also, if you can wait a few weeks, the Net6501 series is coming out with
significantly more power than the 5501 and gigabit (vs 100meg)
adapters.  I'll be benchmarking them in my lab as soon as I can get a
few; I expect > 100Mb/sec performance based on what I've seen from the
5501s.