On 12/13/2011 04:33 AM, Matt Dainty wrote:
> * Soren Kristensen <so...@soekris.com> [2011-12-11 10:00:05]:
>>
>> ACPI is on my long list of things to do, I'll better move it up, the
>> basic ACPI stuff needed is not that complicated.
>>
>> The ACPI Power is really complicated, but I have no plan to support
>> that, as active power management is not something you want or need on a
>> always on platform....
>
> Would the ACPI Power support also cover the CPU speed/power throttling?

ACPI can be used to provide CPU P-state throttling, but in the case of
Intel CPUs, I think SpeedStep is probably a better/easier way to go.
Most OSes support it, as long as they can identify the CPU.

On FreeBSD, the eist driver already sees that the CPUs support
SpeedStep, but doesn't attach due to not having the CPU in its
configuration table.

-nick

--
n...@desert.net - all messages cryptographically signed