Lost one a couple of weeks ago. Symptoms were when I plugged it it, the red
light went on and the ethernet lights started strobing (synchronized) at a
very fast rate. It never got to the bios. Various power supply swappings had
no effect. Three years or so of service sounds about right.

This one also had a fan installed. The mystery continues.

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 01:25:18 pm Max Parmer wrote:
> I just had a net6501 die on me the past weekend, purchased in 2012. It had
> one prior episode of powering on to an error light but that was resolved by
> hitting the reset button once or twice.
>
> I haven't tried powering it back on since I last worked on it a week ago,
> when last powered on the board was making a hissing sound, so I suspect a
> bad component. No visible signs of defect on the board.
>
> I'm about a year out of warranty so I hadn't bothered to writer anyone
> about it until I saw these messages.
>
> I'll try a different power supply (currently using a brick).
>
> On Feb 20, 2016 8:35 AM, "Bryan K. Walton" <b...@70mpg.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, February 20, 2016 10:15 am, JF Straeten wrote:
> > > Did you check the PSUs ? Try with another (suitable) one and see what
> > > happens...
> >
> > On that note, if it turns out to be the PSU, I'd be interested to know
> > whether these are the rackmount PSU's or the external brick style.
> >
> > -Bryan

Jeff Simmons                                   j...@j-simmons.net
Simmons Consulting - Network Engineering, Administration, Security