Dries,

        The net6501 seems to have this sort of problem, and it’s fatal.  At
some point your box will likely stop booting entirely.  If you are within the
warranty period, then Soekris is good about honoring the warranty.  Outside of
warranty, you can get a new 6501, or something else entirely.  The root cause
of death is not well understood, at least not by anyone outside of Soekris.
There does not seem to be a cure.  The 5501 by comparison seems almost
impossible to kill.

   ED.